Friday, February 5, 2010

Update: New Muffler for the Hog

Not much downtime here. In fact whenever something happens to the Hog that keeps me from riding it, I jump on the case to fix it, since it is my primary ride. So my muffler (Boss pipe) broke and fell off on Sunday evening on the ride back from Hicks Rd. On Tuesday (Feb. 2) I was down at the foundry working on putting this pipe (Proma pipe) on my bike. For the Proma pipe, I had to match it up to the existing header and build the silencer you see on the back. I had a lot of fun doing this, especially putting together the silencer on my own bike. Awesome! Props and many thanks to Andrew and Droid for doing all my welding! The cone shaped silencer was Droid's idea. I think it looks pretty cool.

The next day (Wed), I then did a tune up. I had to make sure the jetting was correct for this pipe. However, for quite a while my bike seems to have been running funny. At the end of last summer, I had to put another carb on it cause I was running this 15mm Dell'orto knock off and basically it became a piece of shit through my wear and tear. At one point the damn thing had cracked and I had to JB Weld it back together, as well as to my intake. It did last me a fairly long time in that state and that was the carb I was using when we rode down to Los Angeles. So yeah, I changed the carb and put on a stock Bing 12mm. Of course going down to a smaller carb size would reduce my performance. However, it seemed like more than that. During my tune up, I re-checked my points and sure enough they have been opening to wide. Among other things I did were, tighten my front axle and forks, clean and readjust points, changed front sprocket back to 18 tooth, clean up bike and paint the Proma Pipe. It got late and I didn't really want to be test riding at night, so I still haven't really taken it out, so I'm not sure if all my problems are fixed, but I'm sure it's ride-able, so in my next outting, I'll know for sure what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment