Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sundried Tomato and Chili'd Beef Pizza

I got tired of my low rising sourdough crusts. Using the sourdough starter for crust works great, however if I want it to rise well, then I have to let it rest for much longer than 30 mins. And that's fine if I forsee myself making pizza at the begining of the day. For spur of the moment pizza with great crust, yeast it is.
Most pizza dough calls for sugar. I try not to add sugar whenever possible, however I do know that sugar is supposed to help the yeast work. So instead of using sugar, I put a drop of honey it it. I also added ground black pepper and ground chili to the crust. After I rolled it out, I
put my sauce (sundried tomato and ricotta cheese topenade) around the edges. Then I rolled edges over to form the crust. One of the reasons I decided to make this pizza was because I had a bunch of beef knuckle steak meat, that I had mistakenly bought. In the dinner I made the night before (raviolis), I had added meat to the menu, and I basically used half of each steak to make meat rolls. Doesn't sound appetizing, I know, but they were really good. With the left over beef, I diced it, seasoned it with salt, pepper and drided chilis (ground) and then browned them in a rum infused oil (something Mel created by mistake) and added diced onions. After that, I added diced jalepenos because I thought the pizza needed more color. Made it taste great too. And later after the pizza came out of the oven, i added lemon zest and a squeeze of a lemon to the pizza, further enhancing the flavors. With this pizza, I felt that I redeemed myself because the last few pizzas I made, didn't live up to my expectations. You are your hardest critic...

No comments:

Post a Comment