Monday, March 29, 2010

First Loaf of Bread Sale

I sold my first loaf of bread last Saturday (3/27/10). I had been asked more than a month ago by my neighbor, if she could buy bread from me. Well I kinda lagged and never really got back to her. In the meantime, I had been told by a bakery owner, during a job interview, that I couldn't legally make and sell bread out of my home kitchen. The reason being is that when you are commercially selling food products, you cannot make them in a kitchen that is exposed to the public, so to speak. Meaning that I would have to make my bread in a commercial kitchen. Finding that out was quite a bummer, as you might imagine. Luckily though, Mel recently talked to a lady in her physical therapy, who works for the health department and she said that I can sell my bread out of my kitchen because at the level that I'm doing it, it is considered bartering. Awesome. If I had several 25 or 50lb bags of flour around, then it would seem that I was mass producing bread. However, since I generally only have one 25lb bag of flour, then it falls under bartering. Also, I can advertise by word of mouth or I could say that my neighbors stumbled upon my craft through the scent of fresh bread in the air. Awesome!



Since I never got back to my neighbor, Rachael, her boyfriend, John, approached me about it, last week. Great, I thought, I just started another sourdough starter because my previous one went bad and now I have a reason to make bread on a more or less regular basis. I've decided to sell each loaf, for now, at $3. $5 for larger loafs. Pictured above is a 3 dollar loaf, however John, nor I had change, so he just gave me a 5-er. Yeah, Rad. I should have another customer coming by tonight and at least 1 more the next day. I am also looking into Farmer's Market as another avenue. It won't turn me into a millionaire just yet, but it's a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment