Monday, March 8, 2010

Mixed White-Wheat Serano Sourdough

I baked these sexy loafs this morning. Man they are beautiful! These beautiful loaves are made with white starter and whole wheat flour. I also added roasted serano peppers. Two new things I did with these loaves are that I am trying out distilled vinegar and I am going to start writing my bread recipes and taking note of height, texture and taste.

A few days ago I looked up red velvet cake recipes and used one from the food network. I thought it was strange that it called for distilled vinegar, not because I didn't have any (actually I had just ran out), but because it was vinegar in a cake. Later after I made cupcakes, Mel asked me what I put into them and distilled vinegar came up. Mel told me that distilled vinegar actually helps make things rise.

Whenever I make wheat sourdoughs, I put in a little vinegar in the mix, as I noticed that it helped to cut the "wheaty" taste. So now I'm trying distilled vinegar in the hopes that I can kill to birds with one stone. I have to say that it seems to be working. Starting with these to loaves, I going to on and mixed white-wheat kick and try to find the perfect amount of each ingredient to make the best bread.

The picture to the left is a sandwich I made for a snack earlier today. Last night I made cilantro hummus. Today I went shopping for lettuce and ham. All day I've been craving a sandwich with cilantro hummus. So this is what I came up with. Ham and cheese with cilantro hummus and jalepeno celery mayo on wheat bread. Yum! The thing about always making your own bread is that you're always craving a sandwich. I suppose there could be worse things!

No comments:

Post a Comment