Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Arugula-Walnut Pesto Pizza w/ Broccoli

For the last couple of days, it has been Pizza Time! at our house. This pizza is an arugula Pesto based pizza. The crust is a garlic and rosemary flavored with flaxseed. I have recently started to par-cook my doughs after they have been rolled out, as it makes them less delicate, cook more evenly and easier to slide off the cutting board and into the oven.

I started off with an arugula-walnut pesto, evenly spread over the par-cooked dough. I like to make sure that I spread the sauce all the way to the edges so that every bite has enough moisture included in it. With pestos, it is especially tasty to spread it out to the edges, as the oil will soak into the edges, keeping your last bites moist and flavorful. Next, I added onions and chard, sauteed in white wine. To simulate cheese, I flavored some Toffutti with garlic and basil and dropped spoonfuls onto the pizza. Then came the thickly sliced Roma tomatoes.

For this pizza I wanted to use broccoli and what better to go with broccoli than olives and garlic. In the preping stages, I chopped a whole can of olives in my mini cuisinart chopper, as well as some garlic. I lightly steamed the broccoli before adding it to the pizza.
Don't forget to season your pizza before putting it in the oven!

I prefer to cook my pizzas on a pizza stone in a 500 degree oven. With a stone and a hot oven, the pizzas always cook fast and evenly!





























No comments:

Post a Comment